Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Last night I had my first Google-provided massage. A full hour at no cost to me. Not the best massage I've ever had, but the price was right!

For breakfast today I headed over to Cafe Moma for a good old fashioned american-style breakfast:
  • Scrambled eggs
  • Buttermilk pancake with organic (of course) maple syrup
  • Bacon - 3 (three) strips!
Question: how can maple syrup be organic or not? It comes from trees, right? Are these trees cultivated, with pesticides and so forth? I kind of doubt it.

Lunch @ Charlie's:
  • Bacon Wrapped Pork Loin ****
  • Spiced Chunky Apple Sauce ***
  • Glazed Sweet Potato Wedges ***
  • Greek salad
  • Peach & blackberry dessert crepe **
That's two bacon meals in a row!

Dinner @ American Table:
  • Italian Wedding Soup ****1/2
  • Chicken Marsala ****
  • Ratatouille ***
  • Pluot Fig Shortcake ***1/2
This meal was a mixed bag. The Chicken Marsala was chicken marsala, no surprise there. The Ratatouille, I felt, could have been more flavorful. But the Italian Wedding Soup, which was a clear stock with sausage meatballs in it, and a garnish of orzo and parsley, was quite yummy -- I went back for a second bowl.

After dinner I discovered that there is a video arcade containing all sorts of classic games that are 100% free right behind American Table. So I burned up 30 minutes playing Defender, which is my all-time favorite.

Since this blog entry isn't very exciting, I saved the best for last (I've been sitting on this one for a few days). Somebody is conducting an experiment in the elasticity of junk food demand over in the other building. There is a vending machine over there that has a variety of stuff (that you can't get in the mini-kitchens) at wildly inappropriate prices. For example:
  • Pacific Gold beef or turkey jerky (the good stuff): 10 cents
  • Candy bars: 70 cents
  • Really good candy bars (85% dark): $1.50
  • Famous Amos cookies: $4.55
No kidding! According to a co-worker, this vending machine may have begun as an April Fool's joke and it never ended. I of course bought some turkey jerky for a dime. I came back the next day and all the jerky (in fact, all 10 cent items) was sold out. Not a single bag of Famous A. had sold, however. So apparently junk food demand is quite elastic.

This place is totally wacky. You never know what to expect.

No comments: