Friday, July 13, 2007

So last night I rode my bike back to the apt. The bike path is a mix of nice and not-so-nice. Near work it's basically a straight line under power lines, and you get to see the trailer parks (not so nice) and a tree nursery (which is kind of nice). A little further from work it follows a creek so it's more fun, with lots of twists and turns. There are a couple of giant habitrail-type bridges over major roads. There is one intersection with a major road that requires you to push a button to get a walk signal, although last night it was so late that there was no traffic and this morning there were a few joggers who made the signal change just as I got there.

Where I get off the path it's a few blocks through downtown mountain view to get to my apt. It turns out that on Thursday nights they have a farmers' market in downtown mountain view on the main drag (Castro St.). That was kind of fun to ride through, although I quickly realized that I get produce just as good at the google cafes.

The total ride is about 5 miles and takes 1/2 hour at a leisurely pace.

Then this morning I reversed the process, and when I got to work I decided that since I had to shower anyway, it would be a good time to try out the swimming "spa". As I mentioned in an earlier post, this is a swimming pool that about 10 feet long that has a pump sending a current through it that you swim against. It takes a while to get the current adjust right -- like finding the right speed on a treadmill. If you think that swimming laps is boring, well you ought to try this because it's much more boring! Still it's not too bad to do for 10-15 minutes after a bike ride.

Since I walked at a brisk pace from where I parked my bike to the pool, I guess I did a mini-triathlon. :-)

No comments: